A damp, moldy basement can be a serious
problem. We can help.
The basement is different than any other part of
your home. Basements are generally subterranean, so they’re naturally damp and prone to moisture. This is a
breeding ground for mold, mildew, unpleasant
basement odors and can be a source of rodent and insect infiltration. Keeping humidity down reduces
the chance for mold to grow. In general, mold will not grow at less than 50% relative humidity! The first step
is always to eliminate the source of the water entry by using one of our patented products such as, the
Water Grabber® Bulldog, Cove Base, Fieldstone
Conduit, Floor Grate, or Tank Pro®. Dehumidification is the
Basement Technologies with its patented basement waterproofing solutions, has solved the two major causes of
humidity. We employ the state of the art Air Mop® 2, BONAIR By Humidex, or
Humid-Evac® to keep the air in your basement dry and comfortable. To absorb moisture in the floor
we use the Humid-Evac®, another tried and true Basement Technologies dehumidification product. No
matter what type of moisture builds up in your basement, we have a product to take care of it.
Excess moisture on almost all indoor materials leads to growth of microbes, such as mold, fungi and bacteria,
which subsequently emit spores, cells, fragments and volatile organic compounds into indoor air. Moreover, dampness
initiates chemical or biological degradation of materials, which also pollute indoor air. Dampness has therefore
been suggested to be strong, consistent indicator of risk of asthma and respiratory symptoms (e.g. cough and
wheeze). The health risks of biological contaminants of indoor air could thus be addressed by considering dampness
as the risk indicator. To prevent this, we recommend basement waterproofing.
One in three homes have some type of mildew and that found in drywall is known to be toxic. Mildew usually grows
where you can't easily see it, so you may need to remove items in your basement first to eliminate mildew. Once you find the
source, it's a good idea to install a dehumidifier.
Dust mites are microscope bugs that live mostly on dead skin cells that are shed from humans and their pets.
Dust mites are harmless to most people, but there are ways to keep the amount down in your basement. The most
useful solution is to keep the relative humidity of your basement below 50 percent. You can make sure this happens
with a basement dehumidifier.